**The Civics 101 & Lobbying break out sessions are full**
Join over 100 nonprofit staff and board members to:
BUILD your advocacy skills
HEAR success stories from local nonprofits
SHARE your advocacy priorities
Don’t miss out on this unique opportunity to learn from local advocacy experts! With breakout sessions on the legislative process, state budget and legal side of advocacy, everyone will have an opportunity to boost up their advocacy skills.
- Join us for breakfast and networking!
8:30am – 8:45am ADVOCATING TO THRIVE
- Everyone has the right to advocate – especially nonprofits! Senate Majority Leader Bob Duff (Norwalk, Darien) will set the stage for an engaging day full of skill-building, storytelling and peer learning.
9:00am – 10:00am SKILL-BUILDING BREAKOUT SESSIONS
- Civics 101: Understanding the Legislative Process and Identifying Stakeholders: Jeff Shaw – CT Association of Nonprofits FULL
This session is for attendees beginning to build their advocacy skills or looking for a refresher for the upcoming legislative session. Gain a clear understanding of the Connecticut legislative process, how to navigate it and identify key legislators to advance your work.
- Lobbying and Political Campaign Activities for Nonprofits: Maurice Segall – Pro Bono Partnership FULL
Ensure that your advocacy work is compliant! This session is for nonprofits that want to engage in advocacy activities and stay within the law.
- Deconstructing the CT State Budget: Senate Deputy Majority Leader Beth Bye, Chair of the Appropriations Committee
Confused by the state budget process? You are not alone. Come to this session and learn about CT's state budget. We'll cover where the money comes from and goes, key budget trends with respect to taxes and spending, the budget process and more.
10:15am – 11:30am SUCCESS STORY PANEL
Moderator: Juanita James, Fairfield County’s Community Foundation
- Engaging Your Board in Advocacy Work - Diane Sierpina, Tow Foundation
- Leveraging Public Support for Your Cause – Lucas Codognolla, CT Students for a Dream
- Funding Advocacy Work – Don Strait, CT Fund for the Environment
- Your Bill Passed: Now What? - Abby Anderson, CT Juvenile Justice Alliance
- Building a Communications Plan to Support Your Advocacy Work - Nate Snow, Teach for America CT
11:30am – 12:30pm CRAFTING CONVERSATIONS - House Speaker Brendan Sharkey
Fairfield County’s Advocacy Day is almost over but your work is just beginning! Speaker Sharkey will introduce this session with opening remarks on ways nonprofits can work effectively with their state legislative delegations to improve our communities.
We’ll use the remaining time to develop priorities and topics to explore with local legislators at the upcoming Nonprofit Legislative Forum Series, to be held on the following dates:
- December 1st, 2015 – Greater Danbury Nonprofit Legislative Forum
- December 3rd, 2015 – Greater Norwalk Nonprofit Legislative Forum
- January 5th, 2016 – Greater Stamford Nonprofit Legislative Forum
- January 7th, 2016 – Greater Bridgeport Nonprofit Legislative Forum
Thursday, October 8th, 2015
8:00am – 12:30pm
Trumbull Marriott Merritt Parkway
180 Hawley Lane, Trumbull
Price: $55 (includes breakfast!)